Thursday, October 9, 2008
One of the Longest Days of my Life
This past Sunday was one of the longest days of my life. I had planned to take the kids to Disney for Noah's birthday because Matt was leaving for a business trip that morning. The night before, we had gone to church and out to dinner. When we got home, I was feeling really tired and mentioned to Matt that I wasn't sure I felt up to going to Disney. I woke up early Sunday morning not feeling very well with a sore throat. Matt left for the airport at 8am. By 9:30 I was so sick, I could barely get off the couch. I had a fever and was freezing cold one minute, then sweating and burning up the next. My whole body ached and my sore throat was so bad that I could barely swallow or talk. All I could think of was "What in the world am I going to do with these two kids all day?" My parents were both sick themselves, so I was by myself. I thought that if I could just make it through lunch time, I could put Noah down for a nap and put a movie on for Emily, so I could take a nap. During the morning, I had Emily play with Noah for me so I could lay comatose on the couch. She told me that "She would be the Mommy today and would take care of me". She kept bringing me the thermometer to take my temperature and kept putting ice in my drink. Of course she is only 5 years old and not entirely responsible yet. She'd get bored and go off to do her own thing, letting Noah find some trouble to get into like climbing on top of the dining room table where I found him at one point. Also, later that night I checked in on her in the bath and found her walking along the edge of the tub like it was a balance beam. By lunch time, the medicine had kicked in and I was feeling well enough to get everyone fed and felt optimistic that the worst was behind me. I was wrong. I woke up at 3pm feeling worse than ever. Noah woke up 10 minutes after I did. Again I thought, "What am I going to do with these kids for the next 4 plus hours?" The clock seemed to tick by at an incredibly slow speed. I lost track of how many popsicles Noah had and pieces of birthday cake that Emily ate. I just didn't care. I seriously thought about putting both of them to bed at 6pm, but I was afraid they'd wake up at 4am. Finally, bed time arrived and I went to bed right after them only to wake up literally every hour. A few times when I woke up, I had trouble going back to sleep, so I tried to watch a little television. I am not a big fan of television. There are only a few shows that I watch regularly, but television in the middle of the night is HORRIBLE. I was bored out of my mind. The next morning I was still sick, but at least Emily could go to school for a good part of the day. Finally, by Wednesday I was better, but Matt called from Minneapolis with bad news.....he was sick. Ughhh! Thankfully, the kids (as of yet) have not caught it, but I'm holding my breath.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That sounds horrible! It's awful to be sick when you have to take care of your kids. On days like that, my kids survive on poptarts. :) Glad you're feeling better!
I've been there too. That is the worst feeling ever! I pray the children don't get it and I am glad you are feeling better. (I must admit that the bathtub balance beam trick is a pretty good one though! :-)
Lisa...I wish I could of helped you! I have been there and it is NOT fun to be that sick and have to watch the kids :o(
Post a Comment